If you are reading this post right now, it is very likely that you have been temporarily blocked by instagram, for commenting or liking too fast and too much. Pretty scary, huh. If you have gotten the message “You have been temporarily blocked. It looks like you were misusing this feature by going too fast..”, welcome to InstaJail. This is a common problem lately, especially in the blogging world. Believe me, the first time I got this message I was super scared my account would get disabled soon, as it happens without a warning, but after some research I feel I understand better how it works and what you can do to avoid getting your account deleted.
First of all, you are not alone. I know some bloggers who have the same problem, because basically that is what all these posts on the internet advise you to do to build your blog – interact. So we comment and like away happily in our niche and suddenly, we get this message and are on a temporary block. It felt like a real downer – how are you supposed to build an audience, when you are restricted to interact?
So what to do after you got “temporarily blocked” and what worked for me:
- Stop ALL action for at least two days after you got the message. Just don’t risk it. After Instagram sends these messages out you will be on a very very tight leash for at least 7 days. The first day after the ban, I liked only 4 pictures and got banned AGAIN, so please leave it alone.
- Three days after the ban: let them know you are not a spammer. Start commenting and liking 4-10 pictures, maybe upload a photo, all as normal, so they know you are not a spammer but a normal user.
- Stop liking when the heart pops back to “normal”. This is a very sublte warning by instagram to let you know you performed this action too much for their liking. Stop immediately and let it rest. I know it is a very effective way to get peoples attention, but sadly thanks to so many bots and spammers, instagram will misdetect you as spam and flag your account.
- Have patience. You will notice that Instagram will be nicer on you, depending on how “severe” you hurt their guidelines, as time passes. The first day after the ban I wasn’t able to like 5 pictures, now I can aaalmost like normally (but slow) again.
- Leave at least 10-15 seconds between your actions. To get a rhythm to your action, that wont get flagged as spam, I started to use the “like – comment – like” rythm, in a slow but steady way, it takes up more time but it will pay off in the end.
The good news is that it can all get better again, Instagram will ease up on you. The bad news is, you cannot go back to the way you did your Instagram before, you have to develop a new approach. And honestly, there are so many more ways to grow an audience than mass-spam-like and waste your time. To regain the engagement of my followers after the ban and to carefully grow my following, I created a quick daily growth routine that helped me tremendously to get back on track. Create beautiful content and aim to get featured, use more than Instagram to build an audience, there are soo many platforms out there ! Go and explore !
Has this happened to you and how did you handle it? What are you experiences? Good Luck xx
UPDATE: One month after the ban, everything is back to normal. So just be patient x